The balance of the child depends on the atmosphere in the family
All parents want their children to grow up happy, healthy and balanced. To achieve this goal, many parents read books and materials on the Internet about development, child psychology, and parenting methods. However, they miss the fact that daily interaction with them is more important for raising children. The atmosphere in the family plays an important role for the mental health and well-being of all its members.
Psychologists say that the feeling of safety and love in the family, the time that the child spends with the family, joint activities such as playing games, reading books or talking are very important to him, no less than proper nutrition, physical activity and sleep.
The constant involvement of the child in family affairs also contributes to the fact that he begins to feel an emotional connection with the family, adapts better to society and feels satisfaction with family life. However, for this, parents should not only involve the child in family affairs, but also come up with joint activities that all family members will like.
American psychologists identified 5 types of actions that establish a positive atmosphere in the family: caring relationships, establishing rituals, setting expectations, adapting to difficulties and connecting with the outside world. All 5 types of actions have a great influence on the quality of family life and the strength of the relationship between its members.
Parents may think that if they attract the child to various extracurricular activities and help to do their homework, this will provide them with a successful future. However, they can spend little time with children, and this is their mistake.
When parents spend a lot of time with their child, when they communicate and have fun – this is of great benefit. So the child feels that he is appreciated and loved, and this feeling remains with him for many years. He gets the opportunity to adopt the life values of his parents. In turn, parents can learn more about their child, about its advantages and disadvantages. Thus, parents better understand how they can support the child or teach him something.
When parents spend time alone with the child, he gets the opportunity to freely express their thoughts and feelings. An emotional bond is strengthened between the child and parents, so that he becomes more confident in himself and his abilities.
Consider a few classes that can help with this:
1. Eat food with the whole family. This lesson assumes that all family members discuss the menu together, help with cooking, set the table, and clean the table after eating. It is important that all family members are present. Make it a rule that no one uses mobile phones or any other electronic devices during family breakfasts or dinners. Use this time to discuss the affairs of each family member or plan something together.
2. Make it a habit to read books with your child several times a week. Older children and adolescents can be asked what book they are reading now and read it themselves. In both cases, discuss the books you read with your child. Ask what he liked about the book. If the book is fiction, ask what the child thinks of its denouement or any other plot element. Also ask if the characters in the book remind him of one of his acquaintances. Discuss the values and character traits of the characters. If the book is documentary, start by asking the child why he chose it. After that, you can talk about the topic of the book and the interests of the child. Ask what he learned by reading this book and how he will apply the information received.
3. Attend social events with your child. It can be concerts, parades or charity events.
4. Plan game evenings with your family. It can be board or computer games. This lesson will bring the child a lot of fun.
5. Share your favorite music with your child – listen to it together, sing or even dance.
6. With your child, do sports or other activities that involve physical activity. With young children, you can just play catch-up or soccer. Later you can go to the gym or pool together. Launch a kite. Throw Frisbee. Use all the methods to be physically active together and enjoy it.
7. Build a tower of cubes or legos with your child.
8. Watch a movie with your child – at home or in a movie theater. Discuss the movie you watched. Think about what it can be instructive. Discuss with the child the characters, plot and values presented in the film.
9. Plan family activities for the weekend: cycling, trips out of town, picnics, etc.
These are just some of the activities you can do with the whole family. Discuss with family members how to expand this list, and plan your joint activities.